Sunday, September 11, 2011

New Things!!

The new school year brings new activities, goals, and commitments. This has been a very interesting month so far, and it is only the 11th. I have learned a lot, and I am not sure I am done digesting it, but I am enjoying going through this learning process, and I have been trying to keep a positive attitude. Anyway...

So my friend Lindsey and I have been doing this work-out called Insanity. This workout is ridiculous. I have been SO sore, not just my legs, but my back, shoulders, etc. Clearly I will NOT put up a picture of us doing the stuff because I am sure we look hilarious, not to mention how glistening we get, and who takes pictures of themselves working out? Yeah, not me!!

Linds and I at the Hare Krishna Temple
Also, in my major, I have awesome classes. I am taking an inclusive recreation class. This class has opened my eyes a ton to a world that I do not even know. Every class is filled with discussions about people with disabilities, how they cope, and how recreation helps them. Let me tell you, I almost cry every class period (I don't, but it is hard to hear some of the things). However, I am totally looking forward to the three days we get to play wheel-chair basketball! AH YEAH. In this class, we have the opportunity to give 15 hours of volunteer service at a recreational place for the disabled. I have chosen to do my hours at a place called Courage Reins (punny right?)...

For those that do not know, I for some reason am completely in awe about horses. I would not consider myself an animal person, but I find horses fascinating, especially horses like Secretariat. I think this place (there are lots like it) is amazing. What their program can do for children living with disabilities can come and feel safe and in charge of an animal for 45 min. 

Yesterday I went with my friend Shae, and when we got there this guy asked us if we could unload some hay. Yes I have lived on a farm, no I have not worked on the farm. I didn't even know I could lift a bale until yesterday when we unloaded a trailer and a half of bales. Luckily they were pretty dry. After the hay, we watched some of the lessons that go on, helped some kids get ready for their lessons, and got a little familiar with the horses. I am so excited about this opportunity I have to learn from different people. I am sure that theses kids will teach me so much, and also I am so excited to be around horses! 


1 comment:

Lindsey Hubble said...

haha yeah, we are crazy...or should I say INSANE :) love you girl! YOU are amazing. The classes are simply opening your eyes to everything you are capable of doing :)